UCM wins $5K from KCP&L's competition on sustainability

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — The University of Central Missouri won a $5,000 prize from the MOKAN Take Charge Challenge, a competition focused on energy efficiency and sustainability, according to a press release.
Participants in the cities of Hays, Hutchinson, Kansas City, Kan., and Warrensburg took part in the challenge, in which communities attempted to impact energy efficiency with participants through education, engagement and results.
The University of Central Missouri won first place with a score of 3,995 points. Arwood’s Furniture and Mattress came in a close second place with 3,760 points followed by Warrensburg Church of the Brethren with 1,400.
The challenge ran from Aug. 1, 2013 through Jan. 31. As a participating city, Warrensburg had businesses, churches, and schools complete more than 175 tasks that saved energy, water, and money. Warrensburg participants held over 25 events throughout the challenge reaching nearly 1,700 people.
Climate + Energy Project partnered with KCP&L to select Warrensburg as a participant in the MOKAN Challenge.
Local participants included University of Central Missouri, Arwood’s Furniture and Mattress, Warrensburg Church of the Brethren, Insurance Associates, Reece & Nichols Warrensburg/Whiteman Realty LLC, and Murdock Banner Financial Group.
A celebration event to recognize participants will be held on Monday, Feb. 24th.
The competition builds on the success of the Kansas Take Charge Challenge, which was created by the Climate + Energy Project in 2009. The Kansas Take Charge Challenge was a residential challenge. Nationwide recognition for the innovative and successful challenge included the New York Times, Lawrence Berkley Labs, and PBS.
The MOKAN Take Charge Challenge used the spirit of competition to drive participation and success. Each participating organization had the opportunity to win a local prize of $5,000 from their local electric utility. At the same time, the organizations within each community competed against those in the other community for a grand prize of $10,000. The grand prize, provided by Climate + Energy Project, will be used for a community energy efficiency project in Hays, Kansas.