Jennies basketball downs Missouri Southern, 75-67

(JOPLIN, Mo.) — The 13th-ranked Jennies defeated the Missouri Southern Lions for the second time in a week, 75-67 at the Leggett and Platt Athletic Center on Saturday afternoon.
The Jennies (18-3, 12-2 MIAA) received an offensive boost with three players scoring in double-figures, including a season-best 15 points from senior guard Quinnecia Twine. Twine was a perfect 10-of-10 from the free throw line.  Flax led the Jennies with 20 points and added seven rebounds, while BreAnna Lewis chipped in 16 points.
UCM never trailed in this game, coming out with a three-pointer by Lewis 14 seconds into the contest. They built the lead to seven at 12-5, led by a pair of layups from Lewis and a three by Breonna Embray.
Missouri Southern trimmed the Jennies’ lead to 14-12, going on a 7-2 run over , highlighted by five points from Alexis Fitzpatrick.
However, UCM gained separation, ignited by an 11-2 spurt over the next 6:08 to take a 25-14 lead. Lewis and Twine combined for seven points during the run.
The Lions scored eight of the next 10 points, led by Dominque Mosley who scored five of her team-leading 15 points during that span.
The Jennies were able to maintain a two-possession lead for the remainder of the half, taking a 37-31 lead into intermission. UCM scored nine points off of Missouri Southern turnovers and got 11 points from its second unit in the opening half.
Missouri Southern cut the deficit to two with 18:37 left in the game, but UCM responded with a three-pointer from Embray.
The Lions fought back to pull to within 41-40 with 16:49 left. The two teams exchanged baskets over the next three possessions to keep it at a three-point game at 45-42.
With a 50-45 lead, Lewis was fouled on a three-point attempt and sank all three free throws to put the Jennies up by eight, 53-45 with 12:49 remaining.
Missouri Southern went on a 16-8 run to tie the game for the first time at 61-61 over the next 5:09.
The tie did not last long, as the Jennies scored on the next possession after a pair of free throw makes from Twine to make the tally, 63-61. Flax scored the next four to push the Jennies ahead further, 67-61 with 6:34 left in the game.
The Lions were able to pull to within 70-67, but the Jennies scored the game’s final five points to secure their third-consecutive victory and remain in first place in the MIAA.
The win was the Jennies’ sixth-straight against the Lions. and seventh in their last eight meetings with Missouri Southern overall. The team has won eight road games for the third time under head coach Dave Slifer and second time in three years (2011).
Central Missouri will return home to host Lincoln on Wednesday, Feb. 12 for a 5:30 p.m. tip-off.
Box Score