Jennies basketball move to 3-0 win 73-57 win over Florida Tech

(WINTER PARK, Fla.) — The eighth-ranked Central Missouri Jennies ran their early season record to 3-0 with a 73-57 win over Florida Tech on Friday afternoon at the Alfond Sports Center. The Jens wrap up play at the Rollins Tipoff Classic on Saturday morning at 11 a.m. against Rollins.
It was a back-and-forth battle in the early going with neither team able to seize control. The Jennies (3-0) grabbed the early advantage with a 13-9 lead on buckets from Keuna Flax and BreAnna Lewis, but Florida Tech (1-2) responded with a 9-0 run to grab an 18-13 lead midway through the first half.
The Jens pulled back to within a point before the Panthers scored four straight to push the lead to 24-19 with 4:10 left in the first half. A pair of free throws from Flax and a three-pointer from Lewis tied the game and UCM closed the half on an 11-2 run to led 30-26 at the intermission.
The Jens quickly pushed the lead to seven out of the break, but Florida Tech got a three from Kayk Wilson to pull within 33-29. An 8-0 by Central Missouri pushed the lead to 12 at 41-29 with 16:54 left in the game. The Jennies were ble to push the lead to 13 with 14:30 to play, but the Panthers responded with another run. A 7-0 spurt by FIT cut the UCM lead to six with just under 12 minutes to play in the game.
Justina Prairie Chief hit a three to stop the run and start an 11-4 spurt for the Jens that pushed the lead back to 13 at 58-45 with 8:53 left in regulation. The lead never dipped below 10 the rest of the way as Central Missouri would close the game on an 8-2 run to claim the 16-point win.
Flax led UCM with 20 points and also pulled down six rebounds. Lewis had 17 points, eight rebounds and four assists and Shelby Winkelmann added 17 points as well.
The Jennies shot 45 percent from the field, going 27 of 60. They made 4 of 16 from three-point range for 25 percent and 15 of 24 foul shots for 63 percent.
Wilson led Florida Tech with a game-high 22 points and Rita Acevedo pulled down a game-high 10 boards.
The Panthers were 18 of 54 from the floor for 33 percent and 5 of 18 from beyond the arc for 28 percent. FIT made 16 of 24 from the charity stripe for 67 percent.
The Jennies dished out 18 assists, while forcing 20 Panther turnovers.
Central Missouri will wrap up play in the Rollins Tipoff Classic on Saturday morning at 11 a.m. Central time against the host school, Rollins. The game can be heard live on 1450 KOKO, 98.5 The Bar and warrensburgradio.com with Greg Hassler on the call.
Box Score