Jennies volleyball holds off Missouri Western

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) — Central Missouri volleyball forces set five against Missouri Western, to win their 27th match of the season. The Jennies came back after losing set two and three to win the match, 25-21, 21-25,21-25, 25-17, 15-13. The Jens had 64 kills and 10 blocks in the match.
The Jennies trailed for a majority of set one, catching the Griffons five times before they were able to take the lead at  14-15. Missouri Western was unable to catch the Jennies for the rest of the set, Annie Reilly finishing the set with a kill, her seventh of the season. Carly Sojka had five kills, and hit .455 in the first set.
Missouri Western took a quick lead in the second set. The Jennies caught the Griffons at 7-7, 12-12, and 13-13, but were never able to take a significant lead over Missouri Western. An attack error by Sojka finished the set at 21-25. Maddie Jones had four kills in the set. Taylor Goodness had three kills, and hit .750 in the set.
There were 11 tie scores and six lead changes in the third set of the match, but the Griffons came out on top, after scoring four points in a row to finish the set at 25-21. Sojka had seven kills in set three, and hit .417 in the set.
The Jennies came out with an 8-0 start in set four, and the Griffons were never able to catch up. Haley Thompson had two kills and a block assist in the first eight points of the match. The Jennies were able to string together several points in a row with a few stops by Missouri Western. The Jennies finished the set with a kill by Thompson. Sojka and Goodness both at four kills in the set, with Goodness hitting .800 through the set.
Missouri Western took the first two points in the final set of the match, but the Jennies were quick to catch them, winning the next two points to tie the set at 2-2. There were eight more tie scores in the set, but the Jennies finished the match, scoring two points in a row with a kill by Sojka and a block by Jones and Goodness.
Reilly had 20 digs, seven assists, and a kill in the match. Julia Bates had 42 assists, eleven digs, for her third double-double of the season. Bates also had three serving aces in the match. Goodness had 17 kills, with a .353 hitting percentage, and a block assist. Sojka had 20 kills, and a block assist. Jones had seven kills, and eight blocks. Thompson had eight kills and two block assists in the match.
Next week the Jennies will finish the 2013 regular season with two home matches. Central Missouri will take on No. 7 Nebraska-Kearney on Friday at 7 p.m., followed by Fort Hays State Saturday at 4 p.m.