Jenss win third match of Missouri Southern Invitational in five sets

(ROLLA, Mo.) — The Central Missouri Jennies (20-0, 6-0 MIAA) won their second five set match of the season over Harding (17-8, 6-0 GAC) in their final match of the Missouri Southern Invitational Crossover, according to a press release.  The Jennies won the first set of the match, 25-17, but lost the second and third, 19-25, 22-25, only to rally and win their fourth and fifth set of the match, 25-18,15-11.

The first set began with two kills from Maddie Jones to start the set.  The Bison caught the Jennies five times in the first sixteen points o the set, taking a short-lived lead after 8-8. The Jennies were able to hold Harding at 11 points, and take the lead for the rest of the set after tying the Bison. The Jennies won the last eight of nine points in the set, Haley Thompson with four kills, and Carly Sojka with two. Thompson hit .500 in the first set with six kills. Taylor Goodness hit .667 with five kills.
Harding took the lead early in the second set after winning the first point of the set. Harding won six points in a row at in the first ten points of the set, taking the score to 7-3.  The Jennies were not able to score more than three points in a row for the duration of the set. Harding score the last point of the set off an attack error by Sojka, at 19-25. Goodness had four more kills in the second set. Thompson hit .600 in the second, with three kills.
The Jennies won the seven of the first ten points in the third set, taking a 7-3 lead, Goodness with two kills, and Annie Reilly with a serving ace. Harding caught the Jennies twice in the set, before tying the score again at 12-12 and finally taking the lead.  Harding won the following three points, to take the score to 12-16, before Jones added a point for the Jennies with a kill. Central Missouri caught up to the Bison at 19-19 ,and again at 22-22, but Harding drilled in the final three points in a row, winning the set at 22-25.
Harding lead the Jennies through the first points of the set, but the Jennies caught the Bison at 6-6, winning six points to follow to give them the lead at 12-6. Harding didn’t catch Central Missouri again to force the fifth set, the Jennies won the final two points of the set with another kill by Jones, and a block by Jones and Goodness. Sojka finished the fourth set with six kills, hitting .417.
In the fifth and final set of the weekend for the Jennies, the score was tight between the teams, with seven tie scores before either team reached ten points. Central Missouri reached double digits first, before holding Harding to 11 points, scoring their last three points of the set. Mikalee Monachino with a serving ace, and Thompson finishing the match with a kill. Thompson had five kills, in the fifteen point set, hitting .833.
Sojka had her third double-double of the season with 17 kills, and 10 digs through the set. Goodness also had 17 kills, hitting .278. Thompson ended the match hitting .519, with 16 kills. Jones also broke double digits in kills with 12, hitting .435, and had four blocks through the match.
Next week the Jennies will being a five game road stretch, against Northwest Missouri State, on Tuesday Oct. 15. That weekend the Jennies will face Washburn, on Saturday Oct. 19.