UCM Debate Team takes first in tournament

Talking Mules Speech and Debate Squad: front row, left to right: Matt Gilmore, David Rogers, Kaila Todd, Sam Begley, Alyssa Clifton, Kaci Culp; back row: Zac McGee, Jarrod Best, Wes Herman, John Markley, Derek Pritchett, Jeff May, Sam Crosby, Ethan Putman, Josh Dineen.
Talking Mules Speech and Debate Squad are, front row, from left: Matt Gilmore, David Rogers, Kaila Todd, Sam Begley, Alyssa Clifton, Kaci Culp; back row, from left: Zac McGee, Jarrod Best, Wes Herman, John Markley, Derek Pritchett, Jeff May, Sam Crosby, Ethan Putman, Josh Dineen.

The University of  Central Missouri’s Talking Mules speech and debate team recently returned from a tournament in Hutchinson, Kan., with the first place Debate Swing Championship, according to a press release.
Team President Matt Gilmore said, “What a great result! Everyone contributed to our team’s success. We swept NPDA and did extremely well in Lincoln Douglas.”
Highlights from the weekend included Matt Gilmore and David Rogers,  first place; Derek Pritchett and Ethan Putman, second place; and the team of Kaila Todd and Jeff May, third place, in the Open NPDA Debate Division.
In the Novice NPDA Debate Division, Kaci Culp and Sam Crosby earned first place, and the team of Josh Dineen and Wes Herman finished in second place. Alyssa Clifton and Samantha Begley placed first and second speakers respectively in the Novice Division of Parliamentary Debate.
Gilmore placed first in Lincoln-Douglas debate, and Pritchett was a semi-finalist. May broke both days in Lincoln Douglas and was a semifinalist. Putman was named the top Lincoln Douglas speaker, and freshman Kaci Kulp placed fourth in Novice Impromptu Speaking in her first collegiate tournament. David Rogers placed fourth in extemporaneous speaking.
“I was extremely proud of our team,” said Jack Rogers, UCM director of forensics. “They worked hard. It was a very tough tournament for a season opener, but they proved they could handle the competition.”