Jennies Soccer ties team record with eight goals in win

(BOLIVAR, Mo.) —  The No. 13 Jennies soccer team (6-1-2, 4-0-1) won in convincing fashion at Southwest Baptist, 8-1, tying a team record for goals in a single game on Friday afternoon, according to a press release.

The last time Central Missouri saw this kind of offensive output was September 4, 2005 against Soutwest Minnesota. It marked the third time in the program’s history that the Jennies reached the eight-goal plateau.The Jennies scored twice in the first 9:42 of the game. The first score came on a cross from Carly Stanley on the right side to Becky Lackey who found the back of the net after the goalie left the box to defend the attack. The second score came at 9:42 off the foot of Cindy Lackey, who scored on a header from a cross on the left side from her sister, Becky.
The Jennies took a 3-0 lead in the 18th minute on a free kick just outside the right portion of the box by Emily Eldridge, who shot the ball over the goalkeeper’s’ head into the back of the net.
After Abby Rhodes‘ shot was initially blocked, Hannah Pyle put a loose ball in the bottom left corner of the net in the 21st minute to tack on UCM’s fourth score of the evening.
Southwest Baptist would get one of those goals back 40 seconds prior to halftime when Elin Hammar registered a score on a penalty kick.
However, Central Missouri erased the Bearcats score in the 46th minute when Becky Lackey found Kayla Hamner on a cross from the left side, who scored on a header, to take a 5-1 lead.
Becky Lackey scored for a second time in the 57th minute when she kicked a loose ball in the box into SBU’s net, putting the score at 6-1 in favor of UCM.
In the 63rd minute, Nicole Pond put the seventh goal of the night on the board when her corner kick found the upper right corner of the net.
The Jennies’ record tying eighth goal occured in the 73rd minute from the foot of Bailey Hensley who was on the receiving end of a cross in traffic from Julie Ireland.
Senior goalkeeper Jessica Grindstaff (1-0-0) recorded her first win of the season, playing in the first 30:22 before being replaced by Rhodes.
Central Missouri will come home to host East Central on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m.