Jennies volleyball takes 4th straight MIAA win

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — The Central Missouri Jennies tally another three-set win on Friday night against the Missouri Western Griffons, according to a press release. The Jennies are now 4-0 in the MIAA, 14-0 overall, while Missouri Western falls to 4-8, 2-2 in the MIAA.
Central Missouri allowed Missouri Western to score the first point, but that was the only lead the Griffons had for the rest of the set. The Jennies had only a two point lead at 6-4, before scoring four of five points, Central Missouri doubling Missouri Western’s score at 10-5. Central Missouri continued to score points, two at a time for the rest of the set, before earning the final point of the set from a block assist by Taylor Goodness and Maddie Jones.
In the second set Missouri Western lead the Jennies for over half of the set. The Griffons scored four consecutive points to start the set, before the Jennies were able to score a point, off a kill by Julia Bates. Central Missouri caught up to Missouri Western at 6-6, and took the lead for a point with a kill by Haley Thompson, but the lead was sort lived when a serving error gave the Griffons another point to tie it back up at 7-7. The Jennies continued to play catch up, scoring a point after allowing two, until they caught the Griffons at 16-16 for the fourth tie score of the set. Missouri Western then allowed nine consecutive points, three from kills by Becca Blaise, the other six coming from team attack errors to end the set at 25-16. Thompson and Blaise both had four kills in the set, Goodness right behind them with three.
In the third set, Central Missouri scored first, by Missouri Western kept the set close, this time the Griffons were the team continuously catching the Jennies before allowing more points to be scored. Missouri Western tied Central Missouri for the sixth time in the set at 8-8, when the Jennies scored five points in a row, with a serving ace from Mikalee Monachino, two kills from Jones and one from Carly Sojka and Courtney Cornell. After gaining the five point lead, Missouri Western was unable to catch Central Missouri again, and the set closed with a kill by Sojka at 25-17.
Goodness, Thompson, and Jones all finished the match with ten kills each. Annie Reilly had three serving aces and 15 digs.
The Jennies will have the rest of the weekend off. Next week Central Missouri will face Missouri S&T Tuesday in Rolla at 6 p.m., before traveling home for a pair of conference matches. The Jennies will face Central Oklahoma Friday at 6 p.m. and Pittsburg State Saturday at 3 p.m.