Slideshow: State Fair parade

Photo by Andrew Mather

(Photos by ANDREW MATHER, digitalBURG)
(SEDALIA, Mo.) – The 2013 Missouri State Fair kicked things off Thursday with the annual Opening Day Parade.
The 65-entry procession was led by the Missouri State Highway Patrol, followed by color guards from the Sedalia VFW, Missouri Sons of the American Revolution, and the Smith Cotton JROTC, also of Sedalia, according to a news release.
State Fair Director Mark Wolfe, and his wife Julie, traveled the parade route in a horse-drawn carriage.
Winning entries were selected by a panel of judges. First-place winners received a blue ribbon and $100 in prize money and second-place winners received a red ribbon and $50. Winners in the Marching Band category received a plaque.
The first-place winner of the Theme Float category was Economic Development, with second place awarded to Maxion Wheels.
First place in the Equine category went to Trail’s End, with second place awarded to Missouri Mule Team/MU Veterinary Medicine.
The Show Me Model A Club won first place in the Antique and Classic Car category with a 1928 and 1931 Model A Ford. Bub Caldwell, with a 1929 Model A Ford, took second place.
The first-place winner of the Farm Vehicle category was The Greater Kansa City Two-Cylinders Club, while Quinton Fairfax took second.
The Other category was won by Raymond Coslet with “Lil Pumper,” and second place went to Tom McCown with Tom’s Cartillac Bike.
Receiving first place in the Marching Band category was the Brookfield Marching Band, under the direction of Senior Drum Major Sierra Craig and Junior Drum Major Grace Montgomery.
The Chamois High School Pirate Pride Marching Band, under the direction of Amy Backes, took second place.
Results from Missouri State Fair competitions, including the parade, will be posted at www.mostatefair.com as they become available.
The 2013 Missouri State Fair runs through Aug. 18. For more information, visit www.mostatefair.com, follow the Fair on Facebook and Twitter, or call 1-800-422-FAIR (3247).