Students enjoy solar eclipse watch event

• Using part of solar eclipse glasses, student Wyatt Zirkle attemps to take photos on April 8. Zirkle joined other students at the James C. Kirkpatrick Library at 1:30 p.m. to watch the eclipse.

• Office of Student Activities hosts a watch event on the lawn of JCKL for the solar eclipse on April 8. There were more than 300 students, staff and faculty in attendence.

On April 9, the moon passed between the Earth and the sun, causing a solar eclipse across North America. A solar eclipse causes the sky to darken and the sun’s face to disappear behind the moon. Certain areas experienced a total ellipse, where the moon covers the sun’s face entirely, known as the path of totality, like Indianapolis, IN, Dallas, TX, and Little Rock, AR.

“Many faculty members headed south to the path of totality, so we thought maybe some of [the] students would as well,” said Christina Kerns, Assistant Director of Mo’s Activities Council. “Attendance was over double of what we anticipated, driven in part by the fact that we were the only ones in Warrensburg that still had glasses!”

Although some parts of Missouri did not experience a total solar eclipse, the experience and view were nothing short of spectacular. The Office of Student Activities hosted a viewing party on the front lawn of the James C. Kirkpatrick Library.

“We really just wanted to provide the opportunity for people to view the eclipse together and safely,” said Kerns.

Viewing glasses were on high demand so the organization did not prepare for the amount of students interested in watching the eclipse with their classmates. Students embraced their mutual fellowship and shared the eyewear they had.

“I had a one-on-one private lesson [during the eclipse], so my professor and I left early to watch and shared glasses,” said Freshman Braeden Sholes.

Students played games, enjoyed popcorn, and were provided with viewing glasses while supplies lasted. Until the moon had completely covered the sun, viewers were advised to wear their protective eyewear when looking at the sun.

“What I enjoyed most was being with friends outside and viewing the solar eclipse through the telescope,” said Sophomore Elaina Burke.