Student Voices are Heard Through Free Press

Photo by Press Release

The theme for Student Press Freedom Day 2022 is ‘Unmute Yourself!’ This is because student journalists must be empowered to tell stories, free from overt censorship and able to withstand the pressures that lead to self-censorship.

While every day it seems like there are fewer and fewer trustworthy news sources, with each article published misrepresenting facts and figures to skew the public opinion in a particular direction, student publications are here to remind people that good journalism still exists. Student journalism advocates for the continuation of free speech and democracy in a time during which forms of communication and the accessibility of information are constantly changing.

Student Press Freedom Day, this Feb. 24, is a dedicated day for student journalists to raise awareness for the challenges they face, celebrate their contributions to their universities and communities, and, most importantly, take actions to protect their First Amendment freedoms.

The Muleskinner is a student news publication for students, by students. The main goal and responsibility of the publication is to provide a platform for students to use their voice and have their voices heard. Student news plays a vital role in keeping students informed, exposing wrongdoings, holding leadership accountable and informing the larger community about relevant events. There’s a misconception that newspapers focus on the bad; however, they also spread the good. News is a form of appreciation for the achievements of the university and students within it.

Another goal of student news is to provide an opportunity for students of all majors to learn how media works either from the inside, producing it, or from the outside, consuming it. The university newspaper is one of the few school activities that is an accurate representation of the work environment. There are deadlines to keep, work ethics to follow and multiple team members come together to ensure a quality product is produced. Students learn how to be a team and how to lead under pressure. Writing for the newspaper is different than writing for an assignment. A reporter doesn’t turn in a piece for grading, but for publishing, after which hundreds of people can read it. Journalists must think of their responsibility to the reader. For would-be journalists, these are special skills they can only gain through experience. Even those who choose not to be journalists can carry on these skills into their career of choice. It teaches professionalism and the right mindset for dealing with pressure and accountability. 

Journalism comes with a code of ethics, which helps student journalists learn to be fair. The first principle of this code of ethics is to “seek truth and report it.” The focus on accuracy and honestly instills necessary values needed in society. The second principle “minimize harm” values humanity, and ethical journalists treat sources, subjects, colleagues and members of the public as human beings deserving of respect. The third principle “act independently” ensures that journalists serve the public and not their own interests. Ethical journalists serve the community without being influenced by those in power, bribes, or threats. The final foundational principle “be accountable and transparent” allows others to be part of the conversation. Ethical journalism means taking responsibility for one’s work and explaining one’s decisions to the public. It means owning up to mistakes and clarifying information as needed. One of the main responsibilities of the press is to inform the public. Without being informed, people can’t be informed voters and can’t make changes they may see as necessary.

Being informed is a responsibility students need to learn while at university. College is a place to discover your passions, learn who you want to be and decide your own beliefs. Being informed and engaging with student media can help educate and expose students to new ideas, and that’s what the college experience is all about. The Muleskinner is a student publication for everyone at UCM, whether they choose to read it or create it.