Four MIAA schools ranked in AFCA preseason poll

(KANSAS CITY, Mo.) — The Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association had four teams named to the American Football Coaches Association preseason poll released Monday.
The four MIAA schools are the most of any conference nationwide ahead of four conferences who had three teams ranked in the polls.
The MIAA is the only conference with two teams in the top five and joins the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletics Conference and the Lone Star Conference with two teams ranked in the top 10.
Pittsburg State, the defending national champion sets atop the poll receiving 21 first place votes. Northwest Missouri received one first place vote and is ranked third in the nation after going 11-3 last season. Missouri Western will enter the season ranked #18 in the nation while Washburn will begin the year in the #20 spot.
League newcomer Nebraska-Kearney and Central Missouri were also receiving votes in the preseason poll. All six of those teams will get underway on Aug. 30 as league play begins and will feature #18 Missouri Western hosting Central Missouri who received votes and #20 Washburn hosting Nebraska-Kearney. #1 Pittsburg State will travel to league newcomer Northeastern State and #3 Northwest Missouri will host East Central in a non-conference match up.