Mollenkamp named distinguished professor

(Photo submitted)
    (Photo submitted)

Every three years, the Meredith Harmon Sauer Distinguished Professor for Theatre and Dance is awarded to an “outstanding” candidate selected from a pool of applicants with specialization in theater and dance.
    This year’s recipient is Julie Mollenkamp, professor of theatre and dance at UCM, who will hold the title until 2016, according to a news release.
    Mollenkamp began working at UCM in 2001, and has received more than 14 awards during her career, including Achievement in Directing at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival Region V in 2012, Best Practice in Sustainable Theatre at KCACTF Region V in 2011, and Featured Artist for KC Stage in November 2007.
    In addition to her numerous awards, Mollencamp also performed “In Conclusive Woman,” her own off-Broadway biographical work, at the Ryan Repertory Theatre in New York in 2009.
    She brought three UCM students to New York with her several times to help design and direct the production.
    To qualify for the Meredith Harmon Sauer Distinguished Professor for Theatre and Dance, candidates must provide convincing evidence of instructional excellence, notable record of productive research, creativity and scholarly achievement appropriate to the discipline of theater, evidence of exemplary academic and professional achievement at a regional or national level, and demonstrate considerable promise for and commitment to advancing the mission and goals of theater at UCM.
    “Dr. Mollencamp is most deserving of the honor,” said Gersham Nelson, dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. “I am confident that she will continue to inspire students and colleagues alike as she advances excellence in the department of theatre and dance.”