Track trying to reclaim MIAA

Senior Brent Vogel and the Central Missouri track teams will travel to Hays, Kan., for the MIAA Championships this weekend. (Photo by ANDREW MATHER, Photo Editor)

Story by ALEX AGUEROS, for The Muleskinner—
    Central track and field travels to Hays, Kan., this weekend to compete in the MIAA Outdoor Championships.
    While the Mules and Jennies have grown accustomed to conference success, heavy favorites stand in the way on both the men’s and women’s side.
    Pittsburg State is the defending champion on the men’s side, while co-head coach Kip Janvrin said he believes Lincoln has a chance to run away with the women’s title.
    “We might have to do something special to win the conference title,” Janvrin said.
    Pitt State is ranked ninth in the country, and Lincoln’s women’s team is ranked No. 2.
    The Mules are ranked 19th and the Jennies are 14th.
    The Jens have placed second in conference the last four years.
    The meet starts with the decathlon and heptathlon, and co-head coach Kirk Pedersen looks to the team’s successful multi-event athletes to set the tone for the rest of the meet.
    “Our multi-events are strong right now,” Pedersen said. “We have multiple athletes who have a chance to score and win. Hopefully that gives us a bounce forward.”
    One multi-event athlete looking to create that early points boost is senior Brent Vogel, who captured the national title in the indoor heptathlon in February.
    “We plan on going out there to win,” Vogel said. “I tell my team not to worry about the other guys, just do your best and let the cards fall where they may.”
    For Vogel, who’s enjoyed conference titles in seven of his eight combined indoor and outdoor seasons, it will be his last MIAA Championships before graduation.
    “It will be special,” Vogel said. “I plan on continuing track after this, but UCM is the team I’ve trained with and love.”
    Janvrin said there is plenty of motivation for the seniors.
    “I do know our group of seniors want the title back,” Janvrin said. “I think those guys are highly motivated to do well in the conference meet, and I know those guys will perform well.”
    The meet is Friday-Sunday in Hays, Kan.