Mules golf heads north for regional

Story by JASON STRICKLAND, Sports Editor
    There is a lot of unfamiliarity with the course at the Super Golf Regional in Kenosha, Wis., but head coach Tim Poe was able to get some information from University of Wisconsin head golf coach Michael Burcin.
    Poe and Burcin coached Team USA at the 2011 Palmer Cup together.
    It’s a links style course, which means the fairways are not lined with trees. It also has some water hazards, but Poe found out from Burcin that those may not affect the tournament.
    “He said not a whole lot,” Poe said. “They just put it on there more for visual effects.”
    Just keeping it on the fairway may be key to success at Strawberry Creek Golf Club.
    “From what I’ve heard, if you get in position off the tee, it’s a course you can score on,” he said.
    But not having trees can make it difficult.
    “On those links style golf courses, it’s always difficult to pick out targets because you don’t have trees,” he said. “I always like to use something in the background as my target, so now you got to kind of change what you use normally use for targets.”
    The tournament is Monday-Wednesday, but Sunday’s practice round is when the teams learn the course.
    “Sunday will be very important,” he said. “I just hope we have good enough weather where we can get that practice round in and see the whole course because that will be very important to get figured out how we are going to play it.”
    There are eight 10-team regions that combined into four super regions. The Mules are the No. 3 seed in the Central Region, which partners up with the Midwest Region.
    The top five teams from that regional and the South Central/West regional will advance to the NCAA-II National Championships in Hershey, Pa., May 20-24.
    The top seven teams from the South/Southeast regional will advance, and the top three teams from the Atlantic/East regional will move on to the championships.
    The top two individuals not from a team from each regional will also qualify for nationals.
    Central is one of five MIAA schools to make the regional field. No. 1 Central Oklahoma, No. 4 Washburn, No. 5 Northeastern State and No. 8 Nebraska-Kearney will all compete.
    Missouri St. Louis is the No. 1 seed out of the Midwest Region.
    “I really feel like our region is a little deeper, so I think if we take care of business on our side, we should have a really good shot at making it out,” Poe said.