Mules to host first round games

Junior pitcher Travis Higgs winds up for a pitch against Missouri Southern April 13. He pitched all even innings and earned the win. (Photo by ANDREW MATHER, Photo Editor)

Story by ALEX AGUEROS, for The Muleskinner—
    Mules baseball (34-9, 28-8) begins the conference tournament tomorrow in a best of three series against Pittsburg State (26-21, 22-19).
    Central has yet to play the Gorillas this season, after inclement weather cancelled their series scheduled in February.
    Central is the No. 2 seed and enters the tournament having scored 70 more runs than the No. 7 seed Pitt State, despite having played four fewer games.
    Central is third in the MIAA in batting, first in team ERA and fielding percentage.
    The Gorillas are fifth in batting and ERA, and eighth in fielding.
    “More than anything, we focus on pitching and solid defense,” said head coach Tom Myers. “We want to get good starting pitching so our offense can build a lead.”
    Junior pitcher Travis Higgs is a large part of the Mules’ low ERA.
    “I just try to keep the runs down to take pressure of the offense,” Higgs said.
    Higgs, who is scheduled to start tomorrow’s game, also leads the team in strikeouts, complete games and innings pitched. He says the team is “confident” going into the matchup.
    “Our offense is hitting real well,” Higgs said. “They’re putting up enough runs for us to win.”
    The Mules, who had owned at least a part of the conference title for the past three years, may have extra incentive to perform in this year’s conference tournament, after finishing second in the MIAA standings to Missouri Western.
    “I’m sure our guys would like a shared title,“ Myers said. “You never want to seem complacent when it comes to claiming conference.”
    At this point in the season, the Mules don’t plan on changing anything.
    “You never want to over coach,” Myers said. “The guys know what they have to do.”
    Friday’s game is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Crane Stadium/Tompkins Field.
    Saturday’s game is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday’s game is also scheduled for 1 p.m., if necessary.
    The four winners of the first round series’ will play at Community America Ballpark in Kansas City, Kan., May 9-11.