UCM hosts Workers Memorial Day Event

(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalburg) – The University of Central Missouri chapter of Rho Sigma Kappa Safety Sciences Honor Society is hosting a Workers Memorial Day ceremony Friday, April 26 on the UCM campus.
The event honors the memory of individuals who were killed on the job, raising awareness of workplace safety and hazards that follow those working in industries throughout society. The public may attend.
The daylong celebration will include several mock accidents and poster displays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Elliott Union. A highlight of the event will be a memorial ceremony planned for noon on the campus quadrangle, in front of the UCM Administration Building.
In a symbolic gesture, UCM Safety Sciences students representing various professions will bear a casket across campus to the quadrangle, where UCM official will offer remarks, followed by a flag ceremony from the UCM U.S. Army ROTC and the playing of “Taps.”
The UCM event is planned in conjunction with the 2013 Missouri Department of Labor memorial, “Safe Jobs Save Lives.” Missouri annually hosts a tribute to those men and women killed on the job. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 4,609 workers died on the job in 2011. The safety professional is tasked with the job of reducing this number.