Mules Baseball earns 6-5 win over Missouri Western

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) – The eighth-ranked Central Missouri Mules rallied for two runs in the ninth inning to beat No. 6 Missouri Western 6-5 in the series finale Sunday at the Missouri Western Baseball Field. The win gave the Mules the series win over the Griffons.
The Mules (31-9, 25-8 MIAA) jumped on top with a pair of runs in the second inning. Kevin Gratza had an RBI single to score Brad Wilson to put UCM on the board and Seth Wheeler scored on an error to give UCM a 2-0 lead. The Griffons (32-7, 25-4 MIAA) came back with one run in the bottom of the inning on a Jake Schrader RBI double.
UCM added two more in the third on a Kyle Grieshaber home run to left to open a 4-1 lead. Missouri Western battled back in the fourth with two runs to pull within 4-3. Jimmy Smelcer had an RBI single.
The lead held until the eighth when the Griffons scored a pair to take a 5-4 lead. Bubba Dotson had an RBI triple to right to tie the game and he scored one batter later when Kyle Simpson singled past a drawn in infield to give the Griffs their first lead of the day.
The Mules responded, however, scoring two runs in the ninth with two outs to regain the lead at 6-5. Barrett Noirfalise singled to start the rally and scored on Jon Cotter‘s double to right. Samuel Domingue reached on an infield single to keep the inning alive and after Trevor Jones was hit by a pitch to score a run.
The first two batters in the bottom of the ninth reached base for MWSU, but Zach Davis came on and got Payton Scarbrough to pop out on a great diving play by John Oropezaon a sac bunt attempt. The next batter grounded out to Davis on a high chopper to move the runners up to second and third, but Davis struck out Michael Schulze to end the game and give UCM the win.
Devon Brogan (5-1) earned the win in relief for Central Missouri. He allowed two hits in one plus inning of work. Davis earned his fifth save of the season recording the final three outs in the ninth after the Griffons had put two on to start the inning.
Logan Hollinsworth (5-1) took the loss for MWSU giving up two runs on three hits in 0.2 innings. It was his first blown save of the season.
The Mules are back in action next weekend for the final time in the regular season. UCM will host Emporia State in a three-game series beginning Saturday at 1 p.m. with a doubleheader.