Jennies Softball sweeps Nebraska-Kearney on senior day

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Jennies Softball (22-18, 12-10 MIAA) swept an MIAA doubleheader against Nebraska-Kearney (8-26, 3-15 MIAA) on senior day Saturday afternoon at the South Recreation Complex, winning game one 9-4 before taking the second game 9-2.
The Jennies took an early 3-0 lead in the first inning of game one after Braylyn Bivens crossed the plate on a Loper error and Alex Groeger hit a two-run homer to deep right field, her fourth of the season.
UCM added to the lead in the bottom of the second, scoring four runs to open up a 7-0 advantage over Nebraska-Kearney on an RBI single from Jordan Marble and a three-run home run to right field by Bivens. The round-tripper was Bivens’ first of the season.
Neither team would score another run until the top of the sixth when the Lopers hit a grand slam to cut the Jennies lead to 7-4. The Jennies responded in the bottom half of the inning, plating two runs to increase the lead to 9-4 on Bivens’ two-run double.
The Jennies outhit the Lopers in the first game 11-7 and committed one error compared to two by the away team.
Jennies pitcher Megan Schallom went 5.1 innings, striking out four to get the win and improve her record to 2-5 overall.
Game two saw the Jennies fall behind 1-0 in the top of the first before taking a 2-1 lead in the bottom half of the inning on an error and wild pitch from the Lopers.
Nebraska-Kearney tied the contest up at two in the top of the second but the Jennies answered in the bottom of the third, plating two runs to take a 4-2 lead on sacrifice flies from Groeger and Kristen Heil.
Central Missouri added another pair of runs in the bottom of the fourth, scoring two runs on a Nebraska-Kearney miscue to increase the advantage to 6-2.
The Jennies added three more runs in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI double from Groeger, RBI single bunt from Megan Blumenshein and another Loper error.
UCM outhit Nebraska-Kearney in the second game 9-4 and committed a single error compared to five from the Lopers.
Jessica Wilkes pitched her fifth complete game of the season, going the full seven innings and retiring six Loper batters to improve her record to 5-2.