Jennies Softball splits MIAA doubleheader at Lincoln Sunday

(JEFFERSON CITY, Mo.) – Jennies Softball (18-18, 8-10 MIAA) split an MIAA doubleheader at Lincoln (13-16-1, 5-11 MIAA) Sunday afternoon, winning game one 8-5 before dropping the second game 2-1.
Game one saw the Jennies jump out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the third on a Lincoln error and Medora West RBI ground out before the Blue Tigers plated four runs in the bottom half of the inning to gain a 4-2 advantage.
Central Missouri responded in the top of the fifth, scoring five runs on three hits to retake an 8-4 lead.  The first RBI of the fifth came courtesy of a Brittany Knabe single that scored Ashlea Bengtson. West then singled home Knabe for the second run of the inning and her second RBI of the game before Alex Groeger homered for the third time this season, scoring three more runs, for the 8-4 advantage.
Lincoln was able to get a run back in the bottom half of the inning but Jennies pitcher Katie Shockley retired 12 of the final 13 Lincoln batters to seal the 8-5 come-from-behind win.
The Jennies and Blue Tigers each had eight hits in game one, with the Jennies committing three errors compared to two from the home team.
Groeger and West were each 1-of-4 at the plate in game one, plating five of the Jennies six RBIs. Knabe had the other and went 1-of-3 in the first game, respectively.
Shockley pitched 4.2 innings in relief, striking out an impressive nine batters while only allowing a single earned run, to pick up the win and improve to 5-4 on the season. Clair Lorenz took the loss for the Blue Tigers.
The Blues Tigers plated two runs in the bottom of the second inning on a home run from Starr McLeod to begin game two of the doubleheader.
The Jennies cut the Blue Tigers lead to 2-1 in the top of the fifth on an Amanda Nally RBI single but that would be the closest the Jennies could get in game two as the Jennies fell, 2-1.
The Jennies outhit the Blue Tigers in game two 4-2 but committed four miscues.
Megan Schallom suffered the hard-luck loss for the Jennies as she pitched a complete game, striking out six but saw her record dip to 0-5 on the season. McLeod got the win for Lincoln.
The Jennies are scheduled to return to the diamond Monday afternoon when they travel to Bolivar, Mo. for an MIAA doubleheader with Southwest Baptist beginning at 2 p.m.