Mules close out series with win over Missouri Southern

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The fifth-ranked Central Missouri Mules scored eight first-inning runs and never looked back en route to a 12-2 run-rule win over Missouri Southern on a windy Sunday at Crane Stadium/Tompkins Field. The Mules scored eight in the first and three more in the third to build an 11-0 lead as they cruised to the win.
The Mules (27-8, 21-7 MIAA) sent 13 batters to the plate in the first inning and scored six runs before an out was recorded. Samuel Domingue led off the game with a double and scored in Trevor Jones‘ RBI single. John Oropeza had a two-run single with the bases loaded to make it 3-0 in favor of UCM and Kevin Gratza brought home two more with a triple to the gap in right center. Following an MSSU pitching change, Seth Wheeler had a perfectly placed RBI bunt single to make it 6-0 for the Mules. Jones added another RBI single to make it 7-0 and Kyle Grieshaber finished off the inning with another run-scoring single.
The Mules added three more runs in the third when Grieshaber blasted a home run through the wind to left field to give Central Missouri an 11-0 lead. UCM added another run in the fourth when a pitch struck Domingue with the bases loaded.
The Lions (25-15, 19-13 MIAA) got on the board in the sixth with a pair of runs to make it 12-2. Will Wagner had an RBI groundout to score the first run and Tee Helsel added an RBI single to make it 12-2, but UCM would close the door in the sixth and hold the Lions scoreless in the seventh for the run-rule victory.
Chris Fitzpatrick (3-0) earned the win for UCM after tossing 5.2 innings allowing two runs on five hits. He didn’t walk a batter and struck out two. Andrew Urban gave up one hit in 1.1 innings of relief.
Drew Noble (5-3) took the loss for Missouri Southern giving up six runs on six hits without recording an out in the first inning. David Reese gave up five runs on six hits in 3.0 innings of relief.
The Mules are back in action Wednesday when they travel to Kirksville, Mo. for a midweek doubleheader against Truman State. First pitch at Truman Baseball Park is scheduled for 1 p.m.