Jennies Softball drops doubleheader to Vikings

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Jennies Softball (15-15) dropped a Thursday afternoon doubleheader to the Augustana College Vikings [S.D.] (17-8) at the South Recreation Complex.
The Jens fell in game one 2-1 before losing the second game 3-1.
In game one the Jennies fell behind 1-0 in the top of the third when the Vikings’ Carly Peterson scored on an error. Augustana made it 2-0 in the top of the fifth after Peterson once again was able to cross home plate on a Central Missouri error. The Jennies got a run back in the bottom half of the inning on an Alex Groeger single to left center, cutting the Viking lead to 2-1.
The Jennies had the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth inning but Augustana pitcher Jenelle Trautmann struck out Emily Bybee-King to end the Central Missouri threat.
In the seventh the Jennies also had a chance to score with runners on second and third with two outs but Trautmann again worked out of the jam to secure the win for the Vikings.
The Jens were outhit by the Vikings in game one 7-3, with each team committing two errors. Central Missouri stranded a total of 14 runners on-base compared to Augustana’s nine.
Jennies pitcher Jessica Wilkes pitched a complete game, retiring two batters, but took the loss, dropping her record to 4-2. Trautmann also pitched a complete game for the Vikings, striking out 10, to improve her record to 15-5.
Game two was similar to game one with the Vikings scoring early to take a lead they would not relinquish.
Augustana scored two runs in the top of the third inning to take a 2-0 lead on a double from Chelsi Winskowski. The Jennies cut the lead to 2-1 in the bottom half of the inning when Medora West scored on a Viking error but once again that was as close as they would get.
Augustana made it 3-1 in the top of the fourth on a double from Lindsay Spanton.
The Jennies had one final chance to take the lead or tie the game in the bottom of the seventh with two runners on-base but couldn’t get a run across the plate.
UCM was outhit 8-4 in game two by Augustana, with both teams committing one miscue.
Megan Schallom took the loss in the circle for Central Missouri, pitching 3.1 innings, allowing two earned runs while striking out one to drop her record to 0-3. Trautmann picked up her second win of the day, pitching another complete game, striking out five, to improve her record to 16-5.
The Jennies will look to bounce back Friday afternoon when they host an MIAA doubleheader against Truman at the South Recreation Complex. First pitch for game one is set for 4 p.m.