Mules Baseball splits doubleheader at Central Oklahoma

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The fifth-ranked Central Missouri baseball team dropped the opening game of a doubleheader 4-3 to Central Oklahoma on Friday afternoon, but rebounded with a 6-3 win over the Bronchos in game two at Wendell Simmons Field to earn the split.
The Bronchos (17-11, 14-11 MIAA) got on the board first in game one scoring a single run in the first. UCO added two more runs in the second to take a 3-0 lead.
The Mules (19-5, 16-4 MIAA) got on the board in the third when Kyle Grieshaber doubled home Samuel Domingue to cut the deficit to 3-1. The Bronchos extended their lead in the fifth with a single run to make it 4-1.
Tucker Cross’ RBI single in the sixth made it 4-2, but a double play ended the rally. Chase Graskewicz homered in the seventh to pull the Mules within one at 4-3, but Grieshaber’s long fly ball was caught in deep left center to end the game.
Kurtis Schuyler (2-2) took the loss for UCM after allowing four runs on seven hits in six innings. He struck out seven and didn’t walk a batter.
Edgar Lopez (4-1) earned the win for UCO tossing six innings and allowing two runs on five hits. He walked four and struck out five. Ethan Sharp earned his fourth save of the season after pitching the seventh inning and giving up one run on one hit.
The Mules jumped on top in the first inning of game two on a Grieshaber sac fly to take a 1-0 lead. UCO came back to tie the game in the second at 1-1.
Central Missouri regained the lead for good with three runs in the third to grab a 4-1 lead. Brad Wilson had a two-run single to break the tie and later scored on a Kevin Gratza single.
The Bronchos plated two runs in the bottom of the fourth to pull within 4-3, but the Mules added insurance runs in the seventh on another Grieshaber sacrifice fly and the eighth on a Seth Wheeler RBI single to make it 6-3.
Chris Fitzpatrick (2-0) earned the win after tossing five innings allowing three runs on six hits. Andrew Urban picked up his second save of the season after pitching four hitless innings of relief. He walked one and struck out six.
Landon Hallam (1-4) took the loss for UCO after giving up five runs on seven hits in 5.1 innings.