Brent Vogel claims decathlon title at Texas State Bobcat Open

(SAN MARCOS, Texas) – Coming off his national championship in the indoor heptathlon, senior Brent Vogel claimed the season’s first title in the decathlon, winning the event at the Texas State Bobcat Open.
Vogel led the field of nine athletes with a score of 7,274 points, which currently sits at No. 1 on this season’s Division II decathlon performance list.
Vogel won one event on the first day of competition, taking first in the long jump, and second in the 100-meter and 400-meter dash. UCM claimed first place in all five events on the first day, as Daniel McCarty won the 100-meters and 400-meters, and Central Missouri graduate assistant Kurtis Brondyke, competing unattached, won the shot put and high jump.
Starting the second day off on the right foot, Vogel finished first the 110-meter hurdles, to stretch his lead with just four events remaining. After a low point of fourth place in the discus, the Jefferson City native posted third place finishes in the pole vault and javelin, before winning the 1,500-meter run as the final event, clinching the victory.
On the women’s side, Madison Smith was the highest finishing Jennie, placing 6th with a heptathlon score of 4,688, setting a new personal record. Smith claimed first place in the high jump on day one of competition as well, clearing the bar at 1.65 meters.
The rest of the Mules and Jennies track teams compete Saturday, at the Wendy’s Pittsburg State Open, with a selected group of distance runners also competing at tonight’s Washington University Invitational in St. Louis.