Wildlife Society provides field work opportunities

Jordan Gray speaks to a fifth-grade class at Sterling Elementary School. (Photo submitted)

Story by Elizabeth Wood, for The Muleskinner—
    As a busy college student preoccupied with class, obligations, and social lives, you may not find the time to fully appreciate the environment that you live in and how nature allows you to be that busy college student.
    The Wildlife Society (TWS) provides students with the opportunity to do exactly that.
    As a nationally recognized organization, TWS provides members with the benefits of hands-on experience in the field and professional environmental group connections, such as the Missouri Department of Conservation.
    The organization provides students field work opportunities to use what they learn in class in a practical setting as they observe the wildlife in various local settings.
    TWS members who have already completed internships share their experiences and opportunities to help other members find internships.
    “You really get a lot of field work,” Vice President Katie Heenan said. “Our advisors are great about doing what they can to find a program for us.”
    The organization will host its tenth annual BioBlitz April 27. TWS invites the community and professional organizations to Pertle Springs to observe the environment.
    This year TWS will be joined by the Missouri Department of Conservation and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Association as they survey the flora and fauna of the area.
    “BioBlitz really provides an opportunity for our students and faculty to interact with the community,” said adviser Vickie Jackson. “It also gives our members the connections to professionals while they are doing what they enjoy.”
    Members come together each year and give back to the community by having a clean-up and barbecue day at the Environmental Education Center.
    Some members may also attend the Midwest Student Conclave, where students amp with other TWS students around the Midwest.
    TWS hosts guest speakers throughout the year, the most recent being Whiteman Air Force Base’s Todd Stewart who helps maintain wildlife safety and assesses the environment at the base.
    “(Guest speakers are) a great way to get personal contact with professionals,” said third year member Ryan Steffens. “It really allows you to get to know them.”
    TWS is comprised mainly of students in varying areas of science, but is open to all students interested in the environment and conservation.
    Membership is $5 per semester or $10 per year. TWS meetings are every Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. or 4 p.m. in W.C. Morris. Flyers will be posted around the building with the specific location.
    For more information, find TWS on Facebook or email [email protected].