District finalists plentiful for 'Talking Panthers'

(Courtesy photo) Katie Tobias (left) and Kortnie Bellury (right) were finalists at District Tournament.

(SEDALIA, Mo.) – Knob Noster High School’s “Talking Panthers” made their final competitive appearance for the season in early March, at the Missouri State High School Activities Association District 1 Speech Tournament at State Fair Community College in Sedalia.
Senior Katie Tobias made the finals in Poetry taking fifth place. Tobias’ district performances qualified her for membership in the National Forensics League.
Junior Kortnie Bellury took fifth place in the category of Original Oratory.
The Readers Theatre team consisting of senior Brittany Gilbert, junior Aimee Binder, and sophomores Jessica Axton and Kirsten Orndoff also placed fifth in the district competition. Readers Theatre involves a group interpretation of a script without the benefit of props, costumes, and a regular set.
While the competitive season is over, many of the Talking Panthers are currently working on the One Act Play “The Old Cookie Shop.” The Readers Theatre team and the One Act Play will perform at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 18 at Knob Noster High School as part of the Drama Showcase. Many of the speech and drama students will also be honored with awards that night.
The Showcase is open to the public. For more information contact Director Don Gill at 660-563-2283.