Jennies 10th, Mules 15th in weekly rankings

(NEW ORLEANS, La.) – Following their performances at the Iowa State Classic last weekend, the Central Missouri Mules track & field team moved up three spots in this week’s U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) National Team Rankings, to No. 15. The Jennies slid three spots in the women’s rankings, to No. 10.
Four athletes helped to improve the Mules spot in the rankings this week with their high marks at Iowa State, including three freshmen. Kellen Loch, who now ranks 16th nationally in the 800-meter run, Cole Phillips is 20th in the pole vault, and Meelis Siimson ranks 12th in the long jump. All scored points for UCM in the rankings. Senior Laban Sialo‘s win in the 5,000-meter run earned the No. 10 rank in that event nationally.
On the women’s side, the Jennies lost just over eight points in the poll, despite high marks from Zoe Sharplin in the 60-meter hurdles and Brittany Kallenberger in the pole vault. Sharplin sits 15th in Division II in the 60-meter hurdles, while Kallenberger is currently ranked No. 12 in the pole vault.
The St. Augustine’s (N.C.) men and the Grand Valley State (Mich.) women each hold their spot as No. 1 in their respective rankings.
The Mules are the third-highest MIAA squad in the rankings, behind Lincoln at No. 11 and Emporia State at No. 14. The Jennies trail only the Blue Tigers, who are ranked No. 2 nationally.
In the Central Region rankings, the Mules improved three spots to No. 2, where they trail only Minnesota State, while the Jennies improve two spots to No. 3, behind Lincoln and University of Mary.
Central Missouri returns to the Multipurpose Building this Friday, to host the UCM Classic. Field events get underway at 2 p.m., followed by the track events at 5:15 p.m. A live pay-per-view webcast will also be availiable at www.AmericaOne.com, courtesy of the UCM Media Network.