Jennies go 4-0 on road trip, win at Missouri Southern

(JOPLIN, Mo.) – The 10th-ranked Central Missouri Jennies capped off a four-game road trip with a win at Missouri Southern, defeating the Lions 74-63 on Saturday evening. BreAnna Lewis led the Jennies with a game-high 22 points, knocking down six three-pointers to contribute to the win.
Lewis started her scoring run early, knocking down the game’s first field goal to put the Jens ahead 3-0 within the opening minute. The Jennies (19-2, 11-2 MIAA) held that lead throughout the first half, starting with an 11-3 advantage in the first five and a half minutes. Keuna Flax contributed early as well, scoring her first five minutes in that same stretch, all from the free throw line.
The Lions (11-10, 5-8 MIAA) responded with an 8-0 run midway through the first half, briefly tying the score at 13-13 with a layup from Dominique Mosley. Flax answered on the next possession with one of her two three-pointers on the night, putting the Jennies back in front. Central Missouri closed the last five minutes of the half by outscoring Missouri Southern 10-4, and took a 36-29 advantage into the half. Flax had already reached double-figures, scoring 11 points before intermission.
Missouri Southern opened the second half on a 9-2 run, tying the game at the 16:17 mark with a Shonte Clay jumper. Back-to-back scores from Quinnecia Twine and Flax put the Jennies back in front at the 14:10 mark, 44-43. Missouri Southern would again grab a quick one-point edge on the next possession before Flax scored to put the Jens ahead for good, with 13:22 to play.
Midway through the second half the Jennies had to deal with some major foul trouble, as Flax picked up her fourth foul and had to sit with just over ten minutes remaining and only a four-point advantage. Less than a minute later, at the 9:33 mark, Nicole Caddell was called for her fourth foul, leaving the Jennies without their starting forwards.
Over the next five minutes, Central Missouri outscored the Lions 12-7, highlighted by a pair of big three-pointers and a field goal from Lewis. The Jennies had a larger lead when Caddell re-entered the game at the 5:40 mark, than they did when she had to leave about four minutes earlier.
The Jennies stretched their lead to double-digits in the closing minutes to finish off the win, 74-63. Caddell finished just shy of a double-double, totaling nine points and nine rebounds. The Jennies bench had their biggest contribution in six games, scoring a total of 13 points, led by Symone Murray, who scored seven.
Central Missouri is back in action at the Multipurpose Building this Wednesday night, when they host Lindenwood at 5:30 p.m. The game can be found on 98.5 The Bar, 1450 KOKO, and online at www.warrensburgradio.com.