Wrestling at MIAA Tourney

Senior Clarence Neely (left) and the Mules wrestling team will compete in the MIAA Tournament Sunday. (Photo by ANDREW MATHER, Photo Editor)

Story by ALEX AGUEROS, for The Muleskinner—
    Mules wrestling travels to Edmond, Okla. for the MIAA Tournament this weekend, and are hoping to bounce back from a home loss against Central Oklahoma.
    A road trip may work in the Mules’ favor, as they’re 6-0 in matches away from the Multi, but 0-7 in home matches. Head coach Justin Ensign stresses perseverance to his young team because a season can last more than four months if the team competes in the National Championships.
    “I think with a younger team, you need to remind them more often that the season is a process,” Ensign said.
    The Mules take the first step of pushing past a season filled with growing pains with some rematches. Senior Clarence Neely looks to avenge his loss to Tanner Keck of Central Oklahoma.
    “I’m really hungry to get that win back because I know I can beat him,” Neely said.
    Neely’s goals do not stop there. He’s confident in his ability to win the tournament.
    “I want to dominate (the tournament),” Neely said. “I want to win it. I plan on winning it. That’s the way you have to think about it when you go into a tournament.”
    While the tournament marks the beginning of the end of a rough transition season, Ensign shares his team’s confidence.
    “Having lost to some of these teams, it gives some of our guys a chance to maybe get them back or close the gap,” Ensign said. “We’re going in with an attitude to win it.”
    The Mules’ first match of the MIAA Tournament gets underway Sunday at 9 a.m. in Edmond, Okla.