Jennies Softball picked sixth in MIAA Preseason Coaches Poll

(KANSAS CITY, Mo.) — Jennies softball was picked sixth in the MIAA Preseason Coaches Poll released Wednesday afternoon by the conference office in downtown Kansas City.
The Jennies are coming off a 27-30 campaign last season and finished tied for fourth in the MIAA at 9-11. The Jens return five position starters this season and four pitchers while also adding 10 new players.
Among the returners are 2012 All-MIAA honorable mention honorees Ashlea Bengtson (CF), Braylyn Bivens (IF), Alex Groeger (OF) and Jakki Prater (RHP/UT).
Defending MIAA regular season and tournament champion Emporia State was picked the team to beat by the league coaches, garnering 194 points and 12 first-place votes while MIAA newcomer Central Oklahoma was tabbed second with 177 points and three first-place votes.
Missouri Western came in third in the poll with 176 points while the Tigers of Fort Hays State were fourth, compiling 153 points. The Gorillas of Pittsburg State round out the top five at fifth with 143 points.
The Jennies had 128 points, placing sixth, while Washburn was picked seventh with 103 points. Northwest Missouri State came in eighth with 92 points and new MIAA member Northeastern State was ninth with 83 points. MIAA newcomer Nebraska-Kearney rounded out the top 10 with 81 points.
The Jennies open the 2013 season Feb. 8 in Durant, Okla., in the Southeastern Regional Invitational against Arkansas-Monticello and Cameron.