UCM Gallery of Art presents new exhibits

Lynch(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The University of Central Missouri’s Gallery of Art and Design opens the spring semester with three new exhibits planned for Jan. 23-Feb. 15.

Tanya Alexander: Are You Really My Friend?
Photographer Tonja Alexia Hollander examines the social dynamics of the world of Facebook friendships in the Outer Gallery with her exhibit, “Tonja Alexia Hollander: Are You Really My Friend?” Hollander is interested in how we define friendship and whom we let into our private, yet public online lives, according to a news release.
Through a series of portraits of her Facebook friends in their homes, she creates an exploration of American culture, relationships, economy and class and society networking as it relates to community building.
A native of St. Louis, Hollander earned a degree in photography and feminist studies from Hampshire College. She currently lives in Maine.
“Are You Really My Friend?’ recently was exhibited at the Portland Museum of Art. Her work has been exhibited nationally at galleries in New York City and Boston, and has twice has been selected for the Portland Museum of Art Biennial, winning a purchase prize in 2007. She was chosen for a month-long residency in 2009 at the La Napoule art foundation in La Napoule, France.
Hollander will be on campus at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 5 to discuss her work in the Outer Gallery.
HACK: Pictures from a Chicago Cab
“HACK: Pictures from a Chicago Cab,” an exhibit of drawings by Dmitry Samarov, will be featured in the Main Gallery. The paintings are featured in his book, “HACK,” which documents his experiences as a cab driver in Chicago.
An artist and painter trained at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Samarov began driving a cab in 1993 to make ends meet. His exhibit recounts tales that will delight, surprise and sometimes shock, according to the news release.
Samarov will read from “HACK” and discuss his artwork at 5 p.m. Saturday in the Main Gallery.
John Lynch: A Life in Art and Design
The work of the late John Lynch, longtime professor of art and design in the UCM Department of Art and Design, will be featured in the exhibit “John Lynch: A Life of Art and Design” in Gallery 115.
The exhibit of Lynch’s varied works will celebrate the establishment of the John W. Lynch Memorial Scholarship Fund through the UCM Foundation.
An opening reception for the exhibit is planned for 3-6 p.m. Saturday in Gallery 115.
After his service in Vietnam, Lynch earned a bachelor’s degree from UCM and began his career as a commercial and freelance artist. He joined the UCM faculty in 1984 and earned his MFA degree from Syracuse University.
He taught, mentored and inspired his students throughout his 28-year career, gaining the reputation as a tough teacher who also prepared his students well for successful careers, according to the news release.
The UCM Gallery of Art and Design, located at 217 E. Clark St., is open to the public. Admission is free, and the gallery is open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday, and noon-4 p.m. Saturday when school is in session.
For more information about upcoming exhibitions, visit www.ucmo.edu/gallery, or contact the gallery at 660-543-4498.