Governor names Weston resident to UCM Board of Governors

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – A University of Central Missouri alumnus and Weston resident is set to become the newest member of the UCM Board of Governors.
Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon appointed John Allen Collier, a Republican, to the Board of Governors.
Collier’s appointment fills a seat vacated by Edward L. Baker, of Columbia, whose term has expired. Pending confirmation from the Missouri Senate, the new board member will serve through Jan. 1, 2019. He is scheduled to be sworn in to his new post during the board’s plenary session at 8:30 a.m. Friday, Jan. 25.
Collier said his mission as a board member will be “to expand on the previous achievements and triumphs of the institution, while looking toward the future for original and inventive ideas that will help continue to lead the university in a progressive and positive direction.”
Collier graduated from UCM in 1986 with a bachelor’s degree in public relations. He has worked for State Farm Insurance since 1987 as a claim supervisor, claim superintendent, and currently claim team manager, a job he began in 1997.
Collier currently serves as president of the West Platte R-II School Board. He served for 12 years on the city’s Board of Aldermen, and has been involved in groups such as the Weston Missouri Economic Development Committee and the community’s Planning and Zoning Board.
He also has been active in the Mid-Continent Sports Association, which previously named him coach of the year, and has held many positions within Boy Scouts of America that earned him special awards in addition to his rank of Eagle Scout.