Viterisi, Tuaquoi lead Mules to 16th place finish at Midwest Classic

(INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.) — Mules wrestling placed 16th out of 26 teams in the 34th annual Midwest Classic Wrestling Tournament Saturday and Sunday on the campus of Indianapolis University, finishing with 40 points.
Nick Viterisi and Tim Tuaquoi were the lone place-finishers for the Mules, with Viterisi claiming second at 149 pounds and Tuaquoi finishing seventh in the 285-pound bracket.
Viterisi began his runner-up performance by taking a 13-4 major decision over David Schlieper of West Liberty in the first round before knocking off Ohio Northern’s Kyle Brezovec in round two via a 10-2 major decision to earn a spot in the quarterfinals.
The Bloomington, Ind., native faced Mt. St. Joe’s Joseph Conrad and came away with a 6-1 decision to advance to the semis. Viterisi took on Maryville’s Keenan Hagerty and punched his ticket to the title match with a hard-fought 5-4 decision.
He faced Deral Brown of Newberry and came up just short, falling by a 3-2 decision to finish second. For the two-day tournament Viterisi went 4-1.
Tuaquoi pinned (5:00) Jeremy Brazil in round one of the heavyweight bracket to advance to round two where he fell to Cody Lovejoy of Ohio Northern via a 5-0 decision to drop into the consolation bracket.
He bounced back in the consolation bracket, winning three straight matches before falling to Lovejoy again in the consolation fifth round, dropping him into the seventh-place match. The Yahanna, Ohio, native claimed victory in the match over Newberry’s Chase Gamble on a 17-4 major decision to finish seventh. Tuaquoi finished 5-2 for the tournament.
The Mules return to action Jan. 6 when they host the UCM Duals at the Multipurpose Building.