KC-based Kauffman Foundation picks new president

(KANSAS CITY, Mo., AP) — The former head of financial services software maker DST Systems Inc. has been tapped to lead the Kansas City-based Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.
Officials announced Tuesday that Thomas McDonnell will take over for Carl Schramm, who was asked to resign from the entrepreneurship- and education-focused foundation after receiving criticism that he was diverting too much time and money from the Kansas City area. Schramm had served as president and CEO of the $1.8 billion foundation from 2002 to 2011.
McDonnell has been a member of multiple corporate and nonprofit boards, including serving as a Kauffman trustee since 2003 and chairman of the board since 2006.
“I was very pleased people had an interest in me pursuing this,” McDonnell said. “This is a wonderful opportunity and privilege for me.”
In September, McDonnell announced he was retiring as chief executive officer of DST Systems, which also is based in Kansas City. He had worked there for more than 40 years. DST Systems has about 13,000 employees worldwide.
Also announced Tuesday was the appointment of Janice Kreamer, a Kauffman trustee since 2006, to succeed McDonnell as board chair. Kreamer formerly headed the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation and more recently led a fundraising effort for the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.
“Clearly, both Tom and Jan have a deep, demonstrated connection to Kansas City over many years,” said Steve Roling, who leads the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City. “I’m anxious to work with them, and wish them success.”
The Kansas City Star (http://bit.ly/TCqwtL) reported that Bill Hall, president of the Hall Family Foundation, also praised the appointments of McDonnell and Kreamer.
“There’s no learning curve about Kansas City for Tom McDonnell,” he said. “And Jan knows the charitable field and will be a great help to Tom.”