First Generation panel to foster enrichment

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The Academic Enrichment Department and the UCM Advantage Program are hosting the second annual First Generation Panel from 2-3 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 8, in the Elliott Student Union Room, 235.
Carmen Binder, learning specialist with the UCM Advantage Program, said the panel includes UCM students, staff and other faculty members who have gone through school as first-generation students.
“The panelists will be sharing their experiences. Some of our panelists completed their undergraduate work at UCM, so the resources will be relevant to all UCM first gen students,” Binder said.
She also said that in addition to sharing their first-generation college student experiences, these individuals will also be giving valuable advice along the way.
The Academic Enrichment Department supports students to reach personal, academic and career goals. Their services include free tutoring, writing support and supplemental instruction.
“We want students to know they are supported and we are invested in their success,” Binder said.
The department will also be hosting The First Generation Career Summit April 16.  The goal of this event is to help prepare first-generation students for after college by discussing topics such as job searching, resumes and professional dress.
More information on the event will be posted on their website. For questions, contact Binder at [email protected].