Students attend livestream featuring Wendy Williams

The University of Central Missouri chapter of National Society of Leadership and Success recently hosted a live streaming broadcast of New York Times best-selling author and television talk show host Wendy Williams.
More than 50 students attended the event Tuesday, Oct. 24, in the Ward Edwards Building.
The interview was streamed live for two hours from the campus of Indiana University Southeast.
Williams sat in a chair on stage and explained how she had become successful. She said she knew she wanted to study communication before starting college and she loved it. She said she had always known she wanted to pursue a career in journalism because she liked to write.
“I supported myself. My parents didn’t always support me,” Williams said. “Of course, they support me now. They wanted me to be a doctor or teacher, but I wasn’t going to let anyone stop me.”
She said she found her first job on the back of a magazine cover in 1986 but did not specify what type of job. She said she hated it but didn’t tell anyone. She pushed through it and later found a job as a DJ in Manhattan. Williams said she went from making $11,000 a year to making $60,000 a year.
“Success is not defined by your actual job title. It’s defined by the person that you have become because of the person that you have created,” she said.
Students were able to send questions via Twitter during the broadcast using the hashtag #thensls.
However, many students left the event early. In addition, Kristina Eichhorst, the president of UCM’s NSLS chapter, cut the broadcast off during the question-and-answer segment.
Mareah McCollough, a sophomore nursing major, said the event was not what she expected.

PHOTO BY MYLES VANN / Photographer National Society of Leadership and Success hosted a Wendy Williams live stream broadcast from Indiana University Southeast Indiana University Southeast. Williams spoke about her college life – majoring in communication and
minoring in journalism. How she was able to overcome obstacles in her life to make it to her current position.

“I knew it was going to be a live stream, but I thought this was something special for UCM students. Like, I was thinking it would be more direct interaction with her,” McCollough said.
She said she was excited because she watches “The Wendy Williams Show” almost every day, yet she left disappointed.
Eichhorst said she didn’t realize that people expected Williams would be at the event or would interact directly with UCM students.
“We will have to do better with the way we advertise next time,” Eichhorst said.
The next live broadcast interview is scheduled for Wednesday with motivational speaker and author Simon Sinek. The time and place has not yet been set.