Bookstore uncertain of solar eclipse glasses authenticity, offers refunds

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The solar eclipse glasses sold at the University Store might not be as protective as originally thought.
The University Store said the glasses it sold were not guaranteed to be protective in a post made by the
store’s Facebook account August 17.
“Upon purchase, our eclipse glasses were deemed safe, but we’ve recently been notified by our
vendor that the glasses cannot be proven to be 100% safe,” the Facebook post said.
Kelsey Stanford, an apparel and gift buyer for the University Store, said the store received word from the
vendor that they could not confirm the glasses were sourced from an approved company after the store had
already begun selling the glasses.“That doesn’t necessarily mean the glasses are fake, but we can’t prove that they aren’t either,” Stanford
“That doesn’t necessarily mean the glasses are fake, but we can’t prove that they aren’t either,” Stanford
said. “They do have all of the ISO numbers printed, the manufacturer printed on them is a safe manufacturer, and the at-home tests did indicate they were real, but there are many good fakes in circulation and we are going to play it safe and take returns for any glasses.”
The University Store at UCM is offering a full refund until August 20 for those who purchased the solar
eclipse glasses. Stanford said to bring the glasses and the receipt used to purchase them.