Mules, Jennies send 18 to Nationals

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Thirteen athletes from the Mules and Jennies track and field teams, including both 4-x-400 meter relay teams, earned a spot to represent Central Missouri next weekend in the Division II Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

For the Jennies, three individuals return to the National Championships, according to a news release. Four-time All-American Brittany Kallenberger will look for her fifth in the pole vault. Pentathlon All-American Katie Cassidy makes her second straight trip to the outdoor nationals competing in the heptathlon. Kailey Fuchs, indoor All-American in the 800, will run the half-mile for the first time at outdoor nationals.
Those three will be joined by newcomers Amy Dorge in the discus and Emily Thole in the 400. Thole has competed with the Jennies 4-x-400 team at nationals, but this is her first time qualifying in an individual event. For Dorge, this is her first trip to the national meet.
The Jennies 4-x-400 team of Cassidy, Fuchs, Thole and Laia Gonzalez qualified with a time of 3 minutes, 43.25 seconds. It is the fourth straight NCAA appearance for the Jennies 4-x-400 relay team.
The men’s team is led by their throws squad. Senior All-Americans Jacob Mahin (shot put) and Chris Swearingin (javelin) will make another trip to the national meet. They’ll be joined by fellow throwers Nathan Cummings (shot put) and Ben HansonJace Kaleikau and Nathan Liby, all in the hammer throw, and all making their first appearance at nationals.
Two more senior All-Americans will look for another trophy – Cole Phillips in the pole vault and Blake Seitz in the decathlon. Phillips is tied for the top mark in the nation in the vault.
Unlike the Jennies where three of the four members of the 4-x-400 relay will compete in individual events, the Mules 4-x-400 will be completely fresh. The group of Jacob WeberJacob RandleMichael Lockhart and Osvaldo Granillo enter the meet with the fifth-fastest time at 3:10.86.
For the second straight year, the Division II National Championships will be held at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. The three-day meet stretches from Thursday, May 25, through Saturday, May 27.
All 12 of the Mules and Jennies individual national qualifiers were named to the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association All-Region Team. All-Region distinction is handed down to the top-five individuals in each region, as well as the top three relay teams.