Multicultural Day helps students visualize success

PHOTO BY CASSIE SLANA / SENIOR WRITER Students participating in Multicultural Day watch a presentation about financial aid Wednesday, Nov. 9, in the Elliott Student Union before touring campus.

By CASSIE SLANA
Senior Writer
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Prospective students from diverse backgrounds visited campus to participate in the university’s first Multicultural Day.

PHOTO BY CASSIE SLANA / SENIOR WRITER  Students participating in Multicultural Day watch a presentation about financial aid Wednesday, Nov. 9, in the Elliott Student Union before touring campus.
PHOTO BY CASSIE SLANA / SENIOR WRITER
Students participating in Multicultural Day watch a presentation about financial aid Wednesday, Nov. 9, in the Elliott Student Union before touring campus.

Angela Karlin, director of student financial services, shared her presentation on paying for college Wednesday, Nov. 9, as part of the day’s events.
When Karlin asked if any students had concerns about paying for college, nearly everyone raised their hand, showing how relevant her presentation was to the audience.
Alesha Bowman, multicultural outreach specialist, said she and her department staff decided to organize Multicultural Day for prospective students when they realized there was no provided area for students of color to visualize success.
Although this is the university’s first Multicultural Day, Bowman said she hopes the event becomes an annual occurrence.
Jacquada Gray, 23, brought her students from the Kansas City Public School District to UCM. As a graduate of the University of Missouri-Kansas City, she said Multicultural Day is something she would like to see from the University of Missouri system.
Gray said events like Multicultural Day attract new students and introduce them to majors that UCM offers.
A similar event to Multicultural Day took place last semester, which included a tour for students, visitation with an admissions representative for applications, and a chance for students to talk to faculty and staff of color.
“It’s important for campus and the students because we’re growing,” Bowman said. “More students of color are going to college, so we need to show them that we can support them.”
Asia Harper, 17, from the Central Academy of Excellence, said the event taught her UCM had the major she wanted.
“This is my first college experience, and the experience is good,” Harper said. “I didn’t know if (UCM) had a biology major available, but they do. I want to be a dentist.”
Bowman said it is important for all students to know that there are resources and opportunities aside from their typical “hub” of students.
“We want them to see that regardless of what they see, UCM can be a home away from home,” Bowman said.