Freshman year can be tough, but don't stress

By SARA FOOS
Reporter

(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — I have some advice to share just for freshmen and people who are new to college. This advice should help you out on campus and off campus. Before the first day of each semester, you should find out where your classes are located. Just finding out where everything is going to be on campus can help you feel more calm on the first day of class. Make sure you know what time each class begins too. Find out what activities are available to you for free on campus.

The adjustment to a new school year or semester can be tough. Find new ways to have fun like get a job or internship, join a club or organization, participate in a religious organization on campus, or find a place to volunteer. Another way to fill your free time is just to make new friends.

Don’t overdo it though. Remember you are a student and your studies are important. Some ways to make studying better are to use fun pen colors or a colorful highlighter, and use sticky notes to keep track of everything. Make sure to take 15-minute breaks from studying so you don’t burn out so quickly. If you can find educational videos about what you’re studying, use them. Talk to your friends and mentors about what you’re studying. To keep track of everything, make a checklist and check it off. You’ll feel good knowing you accomplished all your tasks.

Health is important, even in college. But most college students don’t take their health seriously. Just like you have a set time for studying and homework, make time for working out, reading for pleasure, practicing your faith and being around your friends. Try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day to make sure you wake up feeling good. Avoid eating copious amounts of junk food, it really is bad for you. Try to eat a big, healthy breakfast instead.

I know school can get overwhelming with all the homework and activities to do. It is not very easy to take a break from homework and we all are very tired of doing homework all the time. Still, you should try to keep your time balanced between focusing on your health, school work, activities and friends. You might have trouble sometimes, but eventually you’ll get it right and everything will work out for you.

Sara Foos is a THRIVE intern reporting for the Muleskinner. THRIVE is a two-year program to help intellectually-or-developmentally-challenged young adults build skills for transitioning from home to independence.

View Comments (1)