The art of a marching band

By LEAH WANKUM
For the Muleskinner

(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The Marching Mules dedicate hours to perfecting coordination and precision, all for a performance that is over in a matter of minutes.

UCM’s Lifelong Learning series continues with a program on marching band as a way to show the planning and coordination that goes into a performance. Titled “Movement and Music: The Art of a Marching Band,” the program starts at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 13, in Utt Building, Room 008 and is free and open to the public.

Mark Pearce, treasurer of the Lifelong Learning board and event coordinator for this program, said he presented the idea to the board because he has seen the behind-the-scenes preparation that goes into every Marching Mules performance.

“I went to the rehearsals and marching band rehearsals for the halftime show and all the worry and work and precision that it takes to put on a good show, and I took that to the board and said, ‘Hey, I think this would make a good program,’” Pearce said.

Presenting the program is Scott Lubaroff, director of the Marching Mules and chair of the university’s music department.

Pearce said the program is important to include as part of the Lifelong Series because many people may never have the opportunity to see all the work that goes into a performance, such as in theater, concerts and, in this case, marching band performances.

“So many times in performance activities, people see the finished product and assume, maybe, that there is not as much to it as what really takes for a polished performance,” Pearce said. “There are usually hundreds of hours of learning the instrument or the vocals, but in a marching band, there’s also the coordination. In the Marching Mules’ case, there are over a hundred different performers, so you really have a concentration on coordination and symmetry.

“It kind of has its special consideration and preparations, and most of us that have not been a part of a marching band performance… don’t realize that.”