UCM Gallery of Art and Design presents “Color Country”

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.,) – A study in color is the theme of a new exhibit featuring three professional artists scheduled to open Nov. 8 at the University of Central Missouri Gallery of Art and Design.
“Color Country,” an exhibit of paintings, drawings and other two-dimensional works of art by three artists is scheduled for Nov. 8 through Dec. 7 in Gallery 115, located in the Gallery of Art and Design at 217 E. Clark.
The exhibit will feature the works of artists Anne Thompson, Daniel Reneau and Tom Gregg, who examine human relationships with color and its influence on perceptions of the world.
Thompson’s works will feature her Color-World Value Index, which she devised to expand ideas around abstract painting into a range of media, including works on paper, letterpress books, papier-mâché sculpture and interior décor. She lives in Columbia, Mo., and received an MFA from Yale University. Thompson has had solo shows in New York and was a 2009 DAAD Research Fellow in Berlin.
Reneau creates large abstract paintings and sculpture, setting up a duality between the rational, systematic and rule-driven drawing process and an intuitive use of color. He received an MFA from California College of the Fine Arts and has exhibited his work nationally. He recently was project manager for a large-scale mural project at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts in Kansas City, Mo.
Gregg’s paintings of still life subjects are highly saturated and intensely realistic. He often chooses to repeat a theme motif in multiple paintings, using different color schemes to suggest the multiple meanings, histories and associations an object can appear to possess, especially when the physical experience of the that object is changed through color.
Gregg received an MFA from Yale University, and he has exhibited at the George Billis Gallery and nationally. He has worked as an educator and curator and has been the recipient of a Charlotte Street Award, a residency at the Yaddo Colony, and a residency at the MacDowell Colony.
An opening reception is planned for noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10. The reception is free and open to the public.
The UCM Gallery of Art and Design is open to the public from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursdays, and noon-4 p.m. Saturdays. For more information, contact the gallery staff at 660-543-4498 or visit ucmo.edu/gallery.