Freshman Tips

Freshman+Tips

Welcome freshmen,

Many of you moved to campus today to be part of the freshmen kickoff event. I don’t know how each of you are feeling, but I can probably guess. Nervous is the first word that comes to mind. You might be nervous about classes or making new friends or being away from home for the first time. Whatever your situation, this transition is not necessarily an easy one. Just know that you aren’t alone in the weirdness or the newness. You are surrounded by others who are feeling just like you are. And that confident upperclassman you might envy was most likely once a timid new student just like yourself. One thing you will learn in college is that things change very quickly.

Time passes quickly, and hear me when I say this – people change quickly. You will not remain exactly as you are now. College challenges and tests people in a way that is unique to this experience. Whether you ask it to or not, this time in your life will mold you. It happens without you even noticing. While this first day, week or even month may feel like it is dragging on forever, I promise it will pass. One day you will wake up a junior or a senior and just try to remember the person you were at the start of it all. It will feel like little time has passed, and yet you will see that everything about yourself and your situation is different. With growing comes growing pains, so here are some tips from this community advisor and a few others to help you along the way.

PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER UCM Students line up at the Student Union Bookstore
PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER
UCM Students line up at the Student Union Bookstore.

It is OK and in fact normal to be scared. This is a new experience for you, and you might not know what to expect. Just don’t let fear stop you from getting involved.

Get out of your shell. Go to the programs your CA puts on, join an organization on campus, or just start talking to your classmates.

Try to step outside of your social comfort zone every day.

Don’t worry about making friends. You will if you just follow your interests and stay true to yourself. You might not be the most popular person in the world, but there is a place for you on this campus.

Talk to your professors. At UCM, they want and actually enjoy getting to know students, and most are more than willing to work with you. Their goal is your success, so don’t be shy.

Check your student email as often as possible, and get university text alerts so you can stay updated on what is happening around campus. Sign up for text alerts at ucmo.edu/textcaster.

Speaking of what’s happening around campus: Get out of your room once in a while. You are not a prisoner. While Netflix and your futon might seem appealing there is more to the world than your four cement walls. Something is going on almost every day around campus for you to enjoy (and most of it is free).

PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER UCM Students enjoy a workout at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.
PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER
UCM Students enjoy a workout at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Being kind is better than being cool.

Try not to overexert yourself.

Freshmen, there are so many things I could tell you, but I’ll leave you with one final tip…stay plugged into campus news by reading the Muleskinner.