Bradye Peniston's 13 kills leads UCM over Emporia State

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — UCM bounced back from a tough loss over the weekend to defeat Emporia State 25-19, 25-22, 25-22 Wednesday night at the Multipurpose Building.
Senior hitter Bradye Peniston led the Jennies with 13 kills and one error, as the Jens hold on to the top spot in the MIAA standings.
Central Missouri (17-4, 9-1 MIAA) never took a commanding lead in any of the three games, but were able to pull away at the close of each set. Down 9-6 in the first, Peniston knocked down her second kill of the set, followed by a pair of Hornet attack errors to tie the set at 10-10.
The game would be tied two more times before the Jennies took a 7-0 run to put the game out of reach at 18-12. Emporia State (15-7, 5-4 MIAA) closed the gap to three at 18-15 after a ball handling error, but the Jennies were able to side out untilAubri Renshaw‘s back-to-back kills won the set 25-19.
The Jennies’ best hitting performance came in the opener, averaging a .333 attack percentage and collecting 17 kills.
While the Jennies never trailed in the second set, the Hornets were able to make it close late in the game. After Hillary McCormick‘s kill at 22-19 gave the Jens a three-point lead, Emporia picked up a kill from Brianna Kaiser and a block from Kaiser and Courtney Haring that close the gap to 22-21. Central Missouri earned set point after a ball handling error from ESU, then won the set on an attack error, 25-22.
Again, the Jennies never allowed Emporia State to take a lead in the third set, but the Hornets made a run to keep things close. McCormick took the set from Julia Bates and knocked it down for a kill, giving the Jens a 20-16 lead. Emporia responded with three quick points, coming within one point at 20-19.
Both sides traded serves until Peniston forced match point with her kill at 24-21, then closed out the victory with another kill at 25-22.
Along with Peniston, senior Hillary McCormick and freshman Carly Sojka finished in double-figures with 12 and 10 kills, respectively. Libero Annie Reilly was the only Jennie to reach the 10-dig mark, picking up 16 in the straight-set win. Junior setter Julia Bates collected 40 assists (13.3 per set) in the win. The Jennies have a rare weekend off during the MIAA schedule, and will host Missouri Southern in their next match at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 23.

[email_link]