Heavin Warner sets new NCAA Division II record in the hammer throw at the Mule Relays

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Central Missouri track and field has been the home of many records and first this season and at the Mule Relays, junior Heavin Warner added another to the growing list. Warner, the 2014 NCAA Champion the hammer throw, set a new NCAA Division II record in the event, tossing the sphere 220′ 7″. Her record shattered the old mark of 212′ 9″ set at the NCAA Championships in 2002.
That wasn’t all Warner did on the day though. She was also the winner in the shot put (46′ 9.5″) and the discus (160′ 7″). Warner’s record-breaking throw came on her second attempt of the day. Her third throw wasn’t quite as far, but also would have been a new national record.
Also in women’s throws Haley Heuer set personal record in all three events she competed in and moved up in the all-time UCM record books. Heuer finished second in the discus at 149′ 9″ which is fifth all-time. She also placed fourth in both shot put at 42′ 10.25″, ninth best all-time and the hammer throw at 169′, also fifth all-time.
Continuing with the throws, this time on the men’s side, Caniggia Raynor set a pair of PRs and automatically qualified for nationals in the hammer throw. His throw of 215′ 1″ moves him from fourth place to third in UCM history and he placed second in the event. Raynor won the discus, throwing 181′ 9″ which is a new PR by 10 feet and just shy of automatically qualifying for the national meet.
Moving over to the jumps, where the UCM jump crew was on display today. UCM won three events and had a top-three finisher in two other. Cole Phillips was the winner of the pole vault, jumping 16′ 6.75″ and Nick Ramirez took home the triple jump with a hop, step, and jump of 47′ 6.25″. George Charalambous finished in the top three in two events. He was the second-place finisher in the high jump with a season-best mark of 6′ 8″. He also was third in the long jump at 23′ 1.25″.
For the Jennies, they were victorious in three jumping events. Brittany Kallenberger was the winner of the women’s pole vault. She jumped 12′ 9.5″, about two inches off of her own school record. The long and triple jumps were won by Katie Cassidy and Jennifer Sartorio, respectively. Cassidy leaped 17′ 5.25″ while Sartorio was the winner at 37′ 1.25″. Zoe Sharplin took second for the Jennies in the high jump. She tied for second at 5′ 2.5″.
Sharplin also took second place in the 100m hurdles. She was a part of a UCM group that went first through third in the event. Madison Smith won it in 14.24 while Sharplin was second in 14.53 and Victoria Jackson was third in 14.76. For the men’s hurdles, Tyler Chancellor was third running 15.31.
In the distance events, Adam Tredway was a dual winner setting PR’s in both events. Tredway first won the men’s 1500m run in 3:51.91, an NCAA provisional qualifier and sixth-best in school history. He then went on to win the 800m run in 1:53.83, another PR.
UCM also had a pair of top-three finishers in the 5,000m run. For the Jennies Allie Rexroat finished third in 18:56 in her first time running the event on the outdoor track. And Ty Hughes placed third for the Mules in 15:48.53.
Nikki Douglas found her way onto the best-of list in the 100m dash. Douglas finished second in the event in 12.32, but ran a 12.27 in the prelims, which is eighth best in school history. For the Mules sprinters, Chase McCoy also took second in the 100m dash, running 10.75.
The men’s 4x400m relay team comprised of Marquis JonesMichael LockhartShane McCarthy and Jacob Randle also took first place, runnign a 3:16.23. Also in the relays the women’s 4x100m team of Zoe SharplinNikki DouglasKailey Fuchs, and Madison Smith ran a 47.83 in the one team field.

UCM has one final week before the MIAA Championships. The team will be split up as they have three meets on the schedule. Part of the team will be traveling to the famous Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa from April 23-25 while others will be at the Simpson Relays in Indianola, Iowa and the Baker Open in Baldwin City, Kan. April 25.