Mules continue hot hitting, complete series sweep of Lincoln

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — The Mules continued their hot hitting in a 14-0 win over Lincoln on Saturday afternooon at Crane Stadium/Tompkins Field. The win gives the Mules their first series sweep of the season.
The Mules (19-14, 15-9 MIAA) wasted no time in jumping on top of the Blue Tigers (1-29, 1-19 MIAA), scoring four runs in the top of the first. Tony Sandifer got things rolling with an RBI single, Derek Cornell had an RBI single and John Oliver added a two-run double.
The Mules doubled their lead with four more runs in the third to take an 8-0 lead. J. Oliver drew a bases-loaded walk to drive in the first run of the frame. Colin Frederick added a sac fly to score the second run of the inning before Jackson Schnurbusch added an RBI single and Trevor Jones had an RBI groundout.
Colton Hilbrenner’s RBI single and Schnurbusch’ two-run single in the fourth made it 11-0 UCM and Cornell added a sacrifice fly in the fifth for a 12-0 advantage. The Mules tacked on two more runs in the sixth on Brad Jelinek’s RBI double and Cornell’s RBI single for the 14-0 final.
That was more than enough for starter Ricky Rivera (4-2), who allowed just two hits over five innings to earn his fourth win of the season. He struck out two and didn’t walk a batter as his won his third straight decision. Austin Southmaydand Tayler Ross each tossed a scoreless inning of relief, with Ross striking out three batters in the seventh.
Cornell, J. Oliver and Schnurbusch each drove in three runs in the game with Cornell going 3-for-3 and also scoring three runs. With the win, their fifth straight, the Mules have moved in to third place in the MIAA standings with 12 games remaining in conference play.
The Mules are back in action on Tuesday night at Drury for a non-conference doubleheader. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Meador Park.