Old Drum Day Festival again features trial re-enactment

The fourth annual Old Drum Day Festival is set for April 11 on the grounds, streets and around the Johnson County Historical Society at 302 N. Main St.
The festival is scheduled for 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Visitors are invited to bring their dogs as the festival kicks off with the Old Drum Day 5k Run/Walk at 9 a.m. Vendor booths will also be open at that time.
There will be music performed by the New Century Dulcimer Ensemble, the Lucky Dogs, and the Warrensburg High School show choirs.
A re-enactment of the Old Drum trial, directed by Earney Burchard, will take place inside the historic courthouse where Sen. George Graham Vest delivered his famous summation to the jury, known as his “Tribute to the Dog” speech, in 1870.
The speech helped sway the jury in favor of Charles Burden who sued his neighbor and brother-in-law, Leonidas Hornsby, for killing his dog, Old Drum. The play will be repeated several times during the day.
The event is being hosted, sponsored and supported by:

• Johnson County Historical Society
  • Warrensburg Main Street
  • Warrensburg Chamber of Commerce
  • Warrensburg Parks and Recreation
  • The city of Warrensburg

An open entry dog show will begin in the morning and signups for all dog participants will begin at 9:30. In the afternoon, there will be agility competitions and a dog vs. owner hot dog eating contest. There will be more contests to choose: celebrity lookalike dogs, biggest and smallest dogs, and dogs and owners who resemble each other.
For more information, contact Lisa Irle at the Johnson County Historical Society at 660-747-6480. Proceeds from the festival benefit the Historical Society.