Dickerson's 41 points leads UCM to 90-84 OT win over Quincy

(KANSAS CITY, Mo.) — Rakeem Dickerson scored a career-high 41 points to help 10th-ranked UCM rally from a nine-point deficit in the second half to beat Quincy 90-84 in overtime on Tuesday at the Sprint Center.
Quincy shot 59 percent in the first half and opened up a six-point lead at 24-18 with 10:40 to play in the half. The Mules (5-0) used a 7-0 run to grab their first lead of the game at 25-24. The Hawks went right back in front on a layup from Scottie Bruxvoort at 26-25. The teams traded buckets with Dickerson’s three-point play giving UCM a 30-28 lead with 5:44 remaining in the half.
A layup from Herm Senor III and a three from Godson Eneogwe gave the Hawks a 33-30 lead and sparked a 14-4 run to end the half that gave Quincy a 42-34 lead at the intermission.
The Hawks pushed the lead to nine out of the halftime break at 44-35. A 9-2 run by the Mules pulled it to within a pair at 46-44, but Evan McGaughey scored a layup to push the QU lead back to four at 48-44.
The Mules got three-pointers from Preston Brunz and Kyle Wolf to knot the score at 50-all with 14:37 to play in the game, but Eneogwe scored a traditional three-point play to put the Hawks back in front.
Quincy pushed the lead back to seven with an 8-2 run and led 61-54 with 10:49 to play in the game. The lead was still seven at the 5:49 mark after a Dalton Hoover layup gave Quincy a 68-61 lead.
Wolf drained a three to make it a four-point game and Dickerson’s jumper pulled UCM to within two. A pair of Bruxvoort free throws and a three from McGaughey gave the Hawks a 73-67 lead with 3:06 to play. Dickerson drained a triple to pull the Mules within three, but McGaughey scored again to make it a five-point game.
Dillon Deck scored on a layup with 1:52 to play in the game and Dickerson drained another three at the 1:01 mark to tie the game at 75. The Mules had a chance at the end of regulation, but Dickerson’s jumper was off the mark and the game headed to overtime.
The teams traded buckets in the first three minutes of the extra period and the game was still tied 79-all with 1:51 to play. Another three from Dickerson gave the Mules an 82-79 lead and he made one of two free throws on the next trip to make it a four-point UCM lead.
Brunz made a pair of free throws with :37 to play in the overtime session and the Mules led 85-79. Following a pair of Hawk free throws, Dickerson made two more and Wolf hit 1-of-2 and UCM led 88-81. Dickerson got a steal and a layup to make it a nine-point lead and UCM went on to the six-point overtime victory.
Dickerson went 13-of-19 from the field, including 4-of-4 from three-point range, and 11-of-14 at the free-throw line. Wolf had 17 points and Deck had a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
The Mules shot 30-of-64 from the field for 46 percent and made 9-of-16 three pointers for 56 percent. UCM was 21-of-30 at the foul line for 70 percent.
Eneogwe led three Hawks in double figures with 21 points. McGaughey and Thomas Jackson both finished with 13. Quincy was 31-of-65 from the field for 47 percent, 6-of-20 from beyond the arc for 30 percent and 14-of-19 from the charity stripe for 73 percent.
The Mules out-rebounded QU 42-33 and turned 12 Quincy turnovers into 18 points.
UCM is back in action on Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. as they welcome Arkansas-Fort Smith to the Multipurpose Building.