Sheriff candidates report campaign financing

By SABRA HOEPPNER, JASMINE GRAYSON and CLIFF ADAMS
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – The Republican candidate for Johnson County sheriff has a lead over his two competitors in terms of campaign contributions and expenditures, according to the campaign finance reports filed eight days prior to the election.
The three candidates for Tuesday’s election are Arnold W. “Bill” Wilson, Democrat; Scott Munsterman, Republican; and Bill Brasel, independent.
Munstermen raised a total of $28,785 in monetary contributions, excluding in-kind contributions, and spent a total of $20,543, according to campaign finance reports.
Wilson raised a total of $17,974 in monetary contributions, excluding in-kind contributions, and spent $13,237, according to finance reports.
Brasel raised $2,791, excluding in-kind contributions, and spent $1,242, according to finance reports.
A total of 82 individual contributors gave to Munstermen’s campaign. Randy Eich of Warrensburg made an in-kind contribution of $959. Those who made contributions of $500 or more are: Steve and Cathy Abney of Warrensburg, $500; Lisa and Dennis Boling of Warrensburg, $500; Violet Corbett of Knob Noster, $500; Clifford and Leah Harris of Warrensburg, $500; Lindel and Jan Jones of Warrensburg, $650; Laura and Doug Mitchell of Warrensburg, $500; Lorenz and Lisa Richter of Warrensburg, $1,000; Lance Riddle of Warrensburg, $500; Jennifer Vanderbout of Warrensburg, $500; Paul Bertschy of Knob Knoster, $500; Troy and Leigh Blunt of Warrensburg, $500; RG and Sandra Russell of Warrensburg, $500; Jason and Caroline Scales of Perry, Ohio, $500; and Kurt and Lynette Steidly of Knob Noster, $1,000.
Other major contributors to Munsterman’s campaign include Citizens for Hoskins, $500; Morgan Law Office in Warrensburg, $550; Johnson County Republican Women, $500; Johnson County Republican Party, $1,000; and All Pro Electrical Technology, $1,000.
Munstermen spent some $9,200 on printing, signs and door-hangers; nearly $5,200 on advertising; and $950 on sponsorships.
Wilson had a total of 44 individual contributors give to his campaign. The different groups, businesses and associations that contributed $500 or more were: Heavy Contractors Association of Kansas City, $500; Clarkson Construction Company, $500; Superior Bowen Asphalt Co., $500; and Ralph Cage and Robin Allen of Warrensburg, $1,000. Much of Wilson’s money came from personal loans he made to himself.
Wilson spent some $7,300 on signs, printing and design work; more than $2,300 on advertising and $300 on sponsorships.
Brasel raised $800 from three fundraisers. Two individuals made a contribution of $500: Tom and Margaret Charette of Knob Noster. Dwight Parrott of Knob Noster made an in-kind contribution of $1,072.
Brasel spent spent $956 on signs and $156 for advertising.