Local officer elected president of statewide juvenile justice group

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The chief juvenile officer for the 17th Judicial Circuit Court – Juvenile Division was recently elected president of the Missouri Juvenile Justice Association.
Beverly A. Newman earned the statewide office and has worked in the Juvenile Division since 1988. She has served as the chief juvenile officer for the circuit court since 2006 and is responsible for the operational, programming and case management services at the Cass and Johnson County Juvenile Offices and Juvenile Detention Centers. The 17th Judicial Circuit includes both Cass and Johnson counties.
Newman is also chairwoman of the Juvenile Justice Standards Workgroup under the office of the Missouri State Courts Administrator. She serves as a member of that office’s Juvenile Division Education Committee and also as a member of the Juvenile Justice Task Force.
“This is an era of significant challenge in juvenile justice but also a time of great opportunity for positive change and improvements,” Newman said in a news release. “Our efforts will help ensure the best possible outcomes for the children, youth, families, and communities served by the juvenile justice system in Missouri.”
The Missouri Juvenile Justice Association is a statewide organization of 445 members, including juvenile officers, attorneys, social workers and youth service workers. Initiatives undertaken by the association include educational conferences and training, system change, advocacy relating to the needs of Missouri’s children, and special projects addressing gender and race in the juvenile justice system.
More information about the 17th circuit – Juvenile Division can be found at www.circuit17kids.org.